Less than ten years, the number of students who preferred distance learning was not that high. The development of the Internet has changed all that as schools have also used this medium to teach students the tools and skills needed to be able to get a better job.
The Internet has also increased the number of universities and colleges offering this kind of program. Those who are thinking of finally getting that degree should do some research to find out if this institution is right for the person.
Here are the pros and cons that students should know about online schooling:
1. One reason why people decide not to pursue a degree after high school is because the campus is too far from home. As long as the individual has an internet connection, classes can be done interactively using the computer. Consultation with the professor as well as taking exams is also done so in essence, the school goes to the student and not the other way around.
2. Online schooling is very convenient for those who have to do this part time. This will work nicely for parents who have to take care of the kids or do chores around the house. This can also be done by those who need to work just to make ends meet.
3. Every student has the experience of having annoying classmates in the same room. With online schooling, the person won’t experience that because there will be no distractions and all the attention will be focused on the lecture.
As much as there are pros, there also some cons.
1. Though having a degree from an online school is good to land a job, not all the institutions that offer this will help the student find one after graduation. There are also some that are quite new and if the employer has never heard of the place, the chances of being chosen over another candidate are slim.
2. Professors who are used to teaching in the classroom and are quite new to this medium may have a hard time in teaching students online. This can also be difficult for students who need to consult the instructor should clarifications in the curriculum are needed.
2. Not everybody is able to learn using the computer. Some students have to really be there in class in order to interact with other members of the class. The person should check if this medium would work or not.
3. The home is a nice place to rest and relax. Those who feel this way about the house and do not think it will be possible to learn should not even think about it because the person will just be tempted to do other things like play video games and watch television.
Deciding to go back to school takes a bit of maturity on the part of the student. As much as there is a lot of hype these days about online schooling, this type of learning may not work for everybody. It is best to do some research and make some personal assessment before venturing into this.
The three things to look out for in an online school is an institution that can provide adequate training, career counseling and a good chance of employment